Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis (FSGS) is a rare disease that attacks glomeruli causing serious scarring. FSGS develops fast and it may develop into Renal Failure within 1-2 years if the condition can not be controlled well. A healthy diet can slow the progressing of the condition to some extent.
According to the symptoms of FSGS, such as proteinuria, swelling and weight gain, the suggestions on diet should include:
1. In order to relieve proteinuria, a low-protein diet is needed. The metabolin of protein should be discharged out of body through kidneys, now they accumulate in the blood because of the decreased kidney function. If you eat more protein, the metabolin of protein can aggravate kidney's burden, which makes the filtration function worse and much protein will appear in the urine. High-quality protein like chicken, fish, milk, egg and lean meat is recommended.
2. In order to treat swelling, a low-salt diet is necessary. It can not only help with swelling in the hands and feet also prevent and control high blood pressure. Besides, FSGS patients should control the water intake, for the function of eliminating excess water of kidneys declines. So foods like watermelon, oranges, cucumber should be limited.
3. Weight gain can be caused by the side effects of glucocorticoid use. Diets with low saturated fat and cholesterol are good choices.
4. Vegetables with leaves and stems, foods with crude fiber and foods containing low fat should be eaten more.
5. Foods containing much oil, animal fat or cholesterol should be limited.
6. Cigarette and alcohol are forbidden.